Random Musing

Okonomi House
Aug 18, 2009 | 1 comments

Last week, I took my two brothers up to Toronto cause Jonathan had an orthodontist appointment. We've been rescheduling over and over again since I was really busy to drive him up there. Sadly we got there late since I got up late and no one in the family bothered to wake me up. I even got a nagging from my mom saying that it was my responsibility to remember. Funny thing was that no one else in the family remembered about the appointment when I told everyone and asked them to wake me up just in case. Argh!

Anyways, after his orthodontist, we decided to get something to eat. Andy was persistent on it since that's how I bribed him to come. lol At first we decided Kenzo Ramen on Dundas, but they didn't take Amex and the menu was nothing like the website so we got up and left. Yeah pretty embarrassing but I lost my mood when they offered so little when their website showed otherwise. My main reason was to get some takoyaki. So I decided to head down to Charles St. for some Okonomiyaki at Okonomi House. I tried the place once way back in November when I went shopping with Tammy. I found this place while lurking around either Soompi or Chowhound.

Okonomi House offers Osaka style Okonomiyaki and has a very simple menu as you can see.


The hard to read prints are the two soups they offer, salads, desserts and beverages. Very limited menu choices but it makes it easier to choose. I find the pricing to be cheap although the servings depends on people. I find it just right but for others might not be enough.




Jonathan's Sunomono or Sumomo salad. I can't remember which it is since I get the word mixed up. I really like this one because it has the vinaigrette is my kind of sour. The salad was somewhat like a soup since the ingredients were swimming in the vinaigrette. Its very cooling and the portion is just right. The noodles aren't chewy at all and the seaweed gives the salad a little crunch. All the flavours and textures went really well together. I really recommend this.


My seafood salad. Its just like your standard salad you can get at a sushi restaurant. It was good but I liked the Sunomono a lot more.



This is before adding in the Bonito flakes and the aonori flakes. The okonomiyaki is first slathered with the okonomi sauce and then the blob of mayonnaise.


Customers get the option to add in the bonito and aonori flakes if they want. It's 50 cents extra. Looks delicious doesn't it?


Andy finished that much of his while I was only almost halfway through mine. Yeah I eat real slow.


Yum yum.

I am not going to write what an okonomiyaki is. Google is your friend people.

Okonomi House has a very old set up that makes it really homey. It's a small establishment that can seat about 20-25 people; I'm assuming, in a quiet street right off of Yonge.


You can see the chef prepare the dishes right in front of you.
Restaurant Decor:



I consider the meal here to be very light and it's something that everyone should try out. Forget about the usual sushi or ramen when wanting to eat Japanese. Another place that offers this is Naniwa Taro up in the food court in the T&T plaza at the Steeles and Middlefield intersection. I have the pics I took from there somewhere just gotta search. Oh well...Peace!! lol

Labels: , , ,