Random Musing

Toronto Metro Zoo
Aug 14, 2009 | 1 comments

Finally after 3 years of promises, I get my zoo trip. The day started out incredibly wet. Rain came down like no tomorrow and we had to wait at Yorkdale for Benny and Ariane to show up. Brunch was at Congee Wong on Leslie/Finch; one of hunnie's favourites. Since Benny came late; and the fact that he's the only one that knows proper chinese, he did the ordering. We had the salmon super bowl congee; even though I wanted preserved eggs, dough fritters; yum yum, fried chili turnip patties, and dough fritters wrapped in rice noodles. I don't remember what they're called and too lazy to look them up right now. No pics for this since I totally forgot.

Afterwards we had to head over to Pacific Mall to pick up Hanh's contact. Feels like such a rip since she paid $45 for those. I'm pretty sure if I look around enough online I can get those for cheap. Some sellers on AsianFanatics are selling them like crazy. We bought a bunch of snacks for the zoo trip as well. Dried mango, mangos, beef jerky and a bunch of snacks. My favourite will always be the beef jerky, which makes it sad that I didn't get enough and ate it all in one day. boo...


Zoo entrance. We arrived at the zoo at 2PM, hunnie was kind of annoyed since we were behind schedule, but on a happier note, the rainstorm stopped and the sun was shining like crazy. There was a promotion, with the use of an HBC credit card, you can get 10% off the ticket price but hunnie forgot to bring his along when he switched from his wallet to bag. But luckily you can get 10% off with a CAA membership and I happen to have one; even though it expired at the end of July. lol

We took a quick shot together while the other's lined up for tickets. For this occassion, I actually tried out a cute hairstyle learnt from bubzbeauty on youtube. Too bad it didn't show at all.

Hunnie taking a random shot. Now here's a bunch of pics overload. Hunnie took most of the pics but I took most of the prettier looking ones. I do not remember all the names so I have the Zoo page opened up as references.

Indo-Malaya
A lot of interesting animals in this region. The secion was rather short to me compared to the other's. I really like this section since there was a ton of things to see and walking was not that bad. There wasn't many outdoors and most animal exhibits were indoor.

Lion-tailed Macaque


First animal we saw. At this point I should first confess that I have a monkey butt fetish. lol I like taking pics of monkey's butt. It's embarassing to admit, but I find their behind to be very amusing, especially the baboons.

Great Indian Rhinoceros


The skin looks like armadillo plates to me and Benny; probably still under the influence of Transformers, kept repeating Rhydon maximize! lol

Black Breasted Leaf Turtle


Little guy was hiding.

Indian or Javan Whistling Duck



Benny and I had a talk about peking duck while looking at them and if they would be good to eat. The lady standing next to us didn't look amused. lol



I'm not too sure what this one is called, I'm guessing maybe the Hooded Pitta but the feet isn't the same colour and sizes seems different.

Butterfly Lifecycle


Not really that interesting.

Red-tailed Green Rat Snake




Jumbo Gourami

Pretty ugly fish to me.

Black Throated Laughing Thrush



Red-billed Blue Magpie



We asked someone to take a group shot for us, she didn't seem too happy doing it and gave us a somewhat of an attitude. I look pregnant in this pic and hunnie had to go around excitedly telling everyone so. Its the shirt I tell you!


Random shot we took on the bridge showing the wilderness that surrounded us.

Kartiko the Orangutan

Such a tragic story. It made me sad reading it. Follow the rules people!
We;minus Benny and Jun, all took turns taking pics with the statue.




A beautiful fountain

♥♥♥

Nicobar Pigeon



Coolest and kind of freakiest pigeon I've seen either than the pigeons in Chinatown; for the freaky part only.

Reticulated Python


Sumatran Orangutan



That one looked very sad while the other two were playing happily in barrel cylinder thing. The pool looked pretty gross as well and I wondered how come they didn't get an exhibit outside instead of in that place.

White-handed Gibbon


This guy was pretty active when I saw them. He kept on swinging back and forth. I had to come back to this exhibit since Ariane insisted on filming the little guy; all because he decided to pee and she wants to capture it on camera. lol

Green Water Dragon



Spectacled Cobra



Wrinkled Hornbill


Concaved Casqued Hornbill


Sumatran Tiger


We went crazy and tried to snap the best pics we could when we saw it, since it was our first encounter with an animal that we really wanted to see.

Western Lowland Gorilla


These guys looked incredibly sad. They were either looking at you with sad eyes or lazing around asleep. It was the year of the gorilla at the zoo so I'm guessing they got their own little pavillion for everyone to see. Compared to the ones I remembered way back in Gr. 6, these guys are less cheerful and active. That, or cause it was their naptime, not too sure.

Asian Brown Tortoise


Darwin's Dreampond





Slender-tailed Meerkat

One of hunnie's favourite. He immediately ran to their display and tried to snap some pics. These guys were hard to capture since they were constantly moving. Everytime I see them on the Discovery Channel's Meerkat Manor, all I can think of is Timon! Too bad the warthogs were off display. I felt so ripped.

Ornate Nile Monitor


Pygmy Hippopotamus

This guy was very tiny and he occupied in a space no larger than your car. Compared to the regular hippos that are on the Animal Planet, these guys would seem like babies. The little guy must have felt so lonely being confined in such a small space with a tiny waterhole and all alone.

Sacred Ibis


Mandrill





That just makes you go 'aaw'. She was picking out the fleas/bugs in the little one. The other one on top kept on playing and picking at that toy. Its stuffed with hay I'm guessing and has food.

Indian Peafowl



Yeah these guys actually have a scientific name, go figure. There were quite a few of these guys walking around the park. We also saw a mother peacock with a bunch of her little ones. She wasn't pretty enough so I didn't snap a picture. lol Remembering back to school field trips, these guys scared the crap out of me since I remembered it was heading my way in a pecking motion. I really wanted to get a snap of them when their feathers were all fanned out, but sadly these jerks wouldn't comply. I really wanted to throw a rock at it or something. lol A little for revenge back then and for the sake of a nice pic. Yeah I'm pretty cruel. lol

African Elephant



Huuuuuuge! Well that's what you should expect really lol One of them was chewing on a pretty big branch. Pretty smart actually since he kept the branch inbetween his tusk when he's not chewing on it.

My Dorkus


Yes I know, he's such a dork, my dork though ♥

River Hippopotamus


Greater Kudu


Nothing special about them, but they got lots of space.

Random Savanna


I think these are hives. They were everywhere around the savanna section






Grevy's Zebra


If you can zoom in, that's the Zebra. Shy guy I'm guessing. I wasn't really sure if that was really a zebra, I just snapped a couple lol The zoom on my camera is only the standard 3x. I really want a DSLR camera now. Even housewives that are strolling with their kids had one.

Olive Baboon



Look! Look! Monkey's butt! I couldn't zoom in any closer which really sucked. Yes I know, I'm weird. lol Hunnie refused to take pics of monkey's butt though. Actually thinking about it, I don't really care for the monkey's, the baboons is where its at. lol

African Lion


Lazy jerks.

Caracal Lynx


To me, coolest cat ever! All because of his ears and he was actually awake to see some actions; even if the action is only him wandering around his exhibit.

Spotted Hyena

This guy really surprised me since I thought he'd be the size of an average Golden Retriever or German Sheppard. Instead, these guys were friggin huge! I would've have really liked them if he was actually awake and did his laugh. Jerk!

Masai Giraffe

These guys were off display for some reason and was replaced offtrack. Looked pretty sad seeing them in cages though.

Americas
This place actually had some interesting animals.

Golden Lion Tamarin

I really thought these guys were real neat.

American Chuckwalla


For some reason, I kept on thinking the sand dollar when I saw this guy.

Alligator Snapping Turtle

With its name, it's not surprising that he's in the tank with the alligator.

Beaver

After watching one of those extreme animals countdown, I really want to see these little guys chomp down a whole tree. Too bad their in a pretty small confinement so all they get are twigs to use for their tiny dam.

Scarlet Macaw & Blue and Yellow Macaw

Polly wants a cracker? lol That's what I thought when I saw these guys. They were really far away and I really wanted a nice pic of them. One day DSLR, one day...

American Flamingo

Very pretty pink no? I was expecting a very hot pink colour but this shade of pink looks really nice. When we saw them, most were like ostriches, instead of putting their heads in the ground; cartoon stereotype lol, it was bent over underneath their wings.

Jaguar



Never knew it came in black as well.

Tundra Trek
We only saw the polar bears since all the animals were asleep and it was hard to take pictures of them cause they were all in hiding. We were also tight on time.

Polar Bears




I went snappy crazy with these guys.


Beaver Tails...yum, yum. Only food pic I took at the Zoo. Drinks and ice-cream were expensive. For a Hagaan Daz was $5. Major ripoff, I could've got a whole tub at Zehrs with that money. Not like a tub of Hagaan Daz is that much anyways, but still.

Eurasia
Honestly, I didn't like this part much since it was incredibly big and barren. More walk than animals. The animals here have large spaces though.

Siberian Tiger




This guy was very playful. He had a huge rubber cylinder toy that he rolled around the whole time.

Red Panda

Another lazy guy. I was really excited to see them though since I didn't expect to see them. I remember doing a research about them way way waaaay back in Gr. 5. Not as cute and cool as the pandas, but they'll do. This guy was incredibly lazy and slept the whole time, another guy was up high in the trees. We couldn't see him properly, so couldn't get a good pic. Bummer

Bactrian Camel


They smell. I couldn't help but recall that one episode on Man vs. Wild where he cut up the camel's carcass and drank the water from the hump. Blegh but for survival, anything.

Asiatic Wild Dog

Cutie! Reminds me of my Timmy and Mochi. He's cute so I'll forgive him for being asleep. Yeah, I'm bias like that.

Barbary Ape



At first, we didn't see anything but then hunnie started to call it his monkey talk and 2 minutes later, they all came sprawling out. lol So he knows some monkey talk. These guys have lots of room, but not really any tress though.

Snow Leopard


As much as I hated the guy for being asleep, I can't help but regard this as my favourite picture. lol I wished that we were able to get up on a higher platform to take a pic of it though. There were two little cubs at the back playing around.

Barbary Sheep/ Aoudad

Although this may sound gross, they poop out pellets. lol But these guys were pretty gross since they ate and went about their business in the same spot.

Australasia
This area was pretty small and too bad there were no koalas. I really wanted to see them too.

Short Beaked Echidna

Chicken. lol

Central Bearded Dragon


Komodo Dragon


Huuuge guy.

Bennett's Wallaby

It looks like a tiny kangaroo.

New Guinea Tree Frog

These guys are a nice vibrant green, somehow it looks orange in the photo.

Sea Life





Too many to name. The tank was gorgeous though. Must see although its kind of a disappointment from the advertisement.

Western Grey Kangaroo


I was kind of sad that we missed the kangaroo walk in. We got there around 7 and it closed at 6:30. I wanted to walk with the kangaroos even though my feet was in tremendous pain.


I thought the statue was cool and got a snap. Komodo Dragons are cool even though they're like savage beasts on the Animal Planet. lol

I was totally pooped at the end of all this and just wanted to get back to the car so I can rest my aching feet. It was dumb to walk around 287 hectares in heels. We were tired and hungry so decided to eat somewhere in downtown Toronto since we had to drop Benny and Ariane off as well. He suggested Pho Hung in Chinatown. I rather we went to Pho Xe Lua instead since I find Hung to be gross, but then I much rather we went to this one pho restaurant on Finch and Milliken or Midland, I don't remember the right address. Jun was all smiley since he's happy with eating pho any day.




Even though hunnie always joked to take a picture of the Toronto skyline, I decided to snap a few this time. It was annoying that there was a black shadow at the corner of the camera though. We're not too sure what it is, since it started to appear around the time we saw the beavers. It went away the next day though.

As soon as we got there and ate, rain started to pour uncontrollably. Hunnie made a comment that I got my wish. Earlier I was saying that it better be nice and sunny like crazy while I'm at the zoo. It can rain after I'm done. lol And voila! It came true! Too bad there were thunder and lightening as well. We stayed at the place for another 20 minutes or so. I tried to take a pic but the camera was running out of battery so only managed one cruddy snap. While watching the storm, it made me think of that old Barney song: Rain rain go away, come again another day...

Labels: ,