Random Musing

I'm a Pacific Mall Rat
Oct 21, 2009 | 0 comments

For the past few weeks after the baby shower, I've found myself to be up in Pacific quite often. I can now sadly say that I am a Pacific Mall Rat. I was there on the Thanksgiving long weekend, I was there last friday with Linh and I was there again just the other day with a bunch of girl friends. You'd think because of the distance I'd be going up there less.

On the trip with Linh, we left bright and early and stopped by a pho restaurant for a nice hearty breakfast.

Vietnam Noodle Star
4188 Finch Avenue East
Scarborough, ON M1S 4T6

(416) 609-9796

The restaurant is purely all chinese. We were the only two Vietnamese there. I suggested going here since I was introduced to this place 3 years back from Benny. The menu was a bit confusing since it was a 'build your own pho' kind of menu. They offered an array of SE Asian dishes, including Chinese. Since it was breakfast, we decided to keep it light.




Goi Cuon. I really don't ever read the english name of this dish whenever we go out. I'm guessing it would be called vietnamese spring roll or something like that.





The peanut sauce that came with the appetizers. I have never seen a place that gave us so much peanuts before. Imagine if I was allergic to nuts.




Small Pho Dac Biet. The whole shabang as I'd like to say. Most pho restaurants would call it "Restaurant's name" Special Noodle Soup. But us viet know what it's called and it will always be Pho Dace Biet.


After mixing the hoison sauce and chili.

Now onto the review. I've always liked the texture of the big fat noodles and I have come to notice that the only places that uses this type of noodles in their pho are the ones that are Chinese owned. Also, I'm not sure if it's because of the fat noodles or the way the Chinese people cook pho, the broth always seems to have a layer of fat that you can clearly see. The pho as a whole is nothing special. I remembered coming here for the first time and enjoyed the broth greatly, but I found this to be pretty bland.

The food came out very fast, as if everything was already sitting there waiting for the broth to be poured. In the span of handing the waitress our order and Linh getting up for the washroom and 2 minutes before she came back, all of our food arrived to the table. Pretty fast serice; we were the only customers in at the time. lol


No other restaurant has ever placed a big bottle of fish sauce out like that.

After breakfast, we headed up to Pacific Mall. It was already close to 12 and yet not many shops were opened. Please excuse how mean I sound here: Lazy chinese people! They open late and closes everything up pretty early.
Some successes or things that I learned today:
  • Linh got the necklace she wanted from the last time, but didn't want to fight with Tam
  • Linh learned how to properly bargain
  • Linh got her necklace down to $20 from $28
  • Linh can be a shopaholic
  • Linh spends all her on little dinky things
  • Linh can be an annoying shopper
LOL yup I learned so much about Linh that day. It was really fun spending the day with her. One of the funniest thing I think I ever heard her say was when I told her I missed my hunnie. Her reply:

"Forget about Vinh! You're hanging out with Linh!"

We both bursted out laughing and I still laugh pretty hard when I think about it. I told hunnie about it and at first he couldn't believe that Linh said that. Another funny scene was when we were coming home from Chinatown and at one of the red lights there were those window cleaner guys. Poor Linhie was freaking out in the car, shaking her head and crying out

"No...no nooo! Don't come here! No no!"

I love that girl ♥

Surprisingly, I was pretty girly that day and bought myself a dress and a skirt at Pacific. But one thing that pissed me off was when I was bargaining for this one outfit down to $10 from $15 and the girl refused to. I was fine with that and placed it back. After wandering around for a while, I went back to purchase it. I couldn't believe that she changed the price to $23!!!!! I argued with her and she gave me a lame excuse of putting the wrong price. Psh...whatever. If she did put the wrong price then she wouldn't of insisted earlier when I was bargaining for it. The girl was about to give me the original $15 but her other co-worker who just got on said no and talked a bunch in chinese. She gave me a 'discount' and gave it to me for $18. I refused flat out and she in turn gave me a lame excuse because of taxes. I really wanted to yell at them at that point. Who really charges taxes at Pacific?! I walked out right after. Sigh...guess we were not meant to be. lol

Pictures of the purchases will be up whenever I get myself a full length mirror.

We also decided to go take sticker pics/ purikura.



Again larger version can be found here.

I found a website online that lets you edit your pics just like purikura so I played around with one of the pics and made it look so much cuter. lol



Another fun one I played with.

Original:


And the two different ones I tried to spice up.



Well Tam did complain that I totally ruined the pic becaue I smiled and
"Didn't lean into the kiss enough." Yes she's a very weird girl.

A few days later, I found myself back at Pacific with another group of friends. It started out with lunch and then a whole day of nothing to do, so what else to do but head up somewhere. Truthfully, Tam and I are such FOBS, while Thao we all consider to be white washed. She even admits it herself. Walking around in Pacific, she felt so out of place. lol

Some window shopping, lots of wandering, some purchases and more sticker pics!


Bigger version here.

I got myself three pairs of cute earrings which I'll take pics of next time.
Toodles~

Labels: , ,